[mythtv] Problems with Hauppauge Nova TD Dual Tuner USB Stick and Mythtv, no problems in Windows! (Another Sillyname)

Charlie Kempson charlie.kempson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 07:18:32 UTC 2013

May be useful if I just throw in my experiences with this card in
Australia.  I have two of these cards, and for a long time they
performed poorly, exhibiting the dreaded zero byte recordings followed
by consistent failure for that tuner to record anything further until a
cold restart of the card.  Given this was happening every 12-24 hours,
it was frustrating to say the least.

I have a mast head amplifier, so most signals are pretty strong.  As
noted elsewhere on the Internet, SBS and ABC were the channels most
affected.

I have nearly completely resolved these issues by:

1) disabling LNA activation
2) enabling the buggy_sfn_workaround flag
3) forcing no suspension of USB devices

My /etc/modprobe.d/dib0700.conf file looks like this:

> options dvb_usb_dib0700 force_lna_activation=0
> options dib3000mc buggy_sfn_workaround=1
> options usbcore autosuspend=-1

And I modified the kernel boot options for usb autosuspend also.

Since these changes I have had one tuner lock up (with 8 tuners) in four
weeks now.

Cheers,

Charlie

On 11/04/13 20:00, mythtv-dev-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 09:39:37 +0100
> From: Another Sillyname <anothersname at googlemail.com>
> To: Development of MythTV <mythtv-dev at mythtv.org>,
> 	linux-media at vger.kernel.org
> Subject: Re: [mythtv] Problems with Hauppauge Nova TD Dual Tuner USB
> 	Stick and Mythtv, no problems in Windows!
>
> Further to my previous E-Mail on this I've now done a LOT more
> investigation and am posting this message for feedback and to alert anyone
> interested where you might get some issues.
>
> The location where this chap is unfortunately right in a dead spot for the
> Crystal Palace transmitters.....
>
> Normally he would pull ALL his feeds from Crystal Palace on
frequencies....

> 482Mhz
> 490Mhz
> 506Mhz
> 514Mhz
> 545.8Mhz (HD Mux)
> 529.8Mhz
>
> However Crystal Palace does not give him a good signal on some of the
Muxes