[mythtv] status of MythTV wrt Coverity Scan

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Mon May 7 17:00:28 UTC 2012

On 6 May 2012 19:27, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was just wondering if there was any interest in enrolling MythTV in
> the Coverity Scan program.
>
> If you're not familiar with Coverity, it's a static analysis tool that
> looks for potential bugs in code, like gcc warnings on steroids.  It's
> a commercial product which the makers make available to open source
> projects at no cost.
>
> http://scan.coverity.com/about.html
>
> I noticed that MythTV is not on the list of participating projects.
> Google turns up some references to MythTV and Coverity from around
> 2008 including this chat log:
>
> 09:42   <danielk22>     I did try to contact coverity about getting MythTV
> into their scan program, but they never got back to me.
> 09:42   <stuarta>       using that admin address in the FAQ?
> 09:42   <danielk22>     yup
> 09:44   <danielk22>     I also tried contacting them through their main web
> page, but then I just got sales people who knew nothing about the
> program contacting me every few days.
>
> and a few tickets that mention Coverity as having uncovered the bug
> (e.g. #5549) but nothing recent.
>
> Would anyone be interested in making use of this tool?  If so I can
> contact them and see if I can set it up.

Hi,

I am a developer on the xine project.
We used Coverity, and although a lot of the items it highlighted were
not bugs, it did spot some bugs that were well worth fixing.
So, on balance, I think it is well worth it, being that it is free,
except the time it takes for us to scan through the items to identify
the actual bugs from the noise.
For us, we did not have to deliver any source code to them. They just
grabbed it from our SVN repository at the time.
I do not know if xine still uses Coverity or not.

Kind Regards

James