[mythtv] Mac OS X build error "ld: -L <blank>"

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Tue Mar 27 13:33:20 UTC 2012

I'm trying to create a MacPorts port* of MythTV for OS X using
0.25-rc but it is failing while building a couple of the myth
libraries (libmythservicecontracts and libmythbase).

For example -
>ccache g++ -headerpad_max_install_names -m32 -L/opt/local/lib -arch
>i386 -F/System/Library/Frameworks -Wl,-dynamic,-search_paths_first
>-arch i386 -single_module -dynamiclib -compatibility_version	0.25
>-current_version	0.25.0 -install_name
>	/opt/local/lib/libmythbase-0.25.0.dylib -o
>libmythbase-0.25.0.25.0.dylib mthread.o mthreadpool.o mythsocket.o
>mythsocketthread.o msocketdevice.o mythdbcon.o mythdb.o
>oldsettings.o mythobservable.o mythevent.o httpcomms.o mcodecs.o
>mythdirs.o mythsignalingtimer.o lcddevice.o mythstorage.o
>remotefile.o mythcorecontext.o mythsystem.o mythlocale.o
>storagegroup.o mythcoreutil.o mythdownloadmanager.o
>mythtranslation.o unzip.o iso639.o iso3166.o mythmedia.o
>mythmiscutil.o mythhdd.o mythcdrom.o dbutil.o mythhttppool.o
>mythhttphandler.o logging.o referencecounter.o
>mythcommandlineparser.o filesysteminfo.o hardwareprofile.o
>serverpool.o msocketdevice_unix.o system-unix.o mythcdrom-darwin.o
>bonjourregister.o moc_httpcomms.o moc_mythsignalingtimer.o
>moc_lcddevice.o moc_logging.o moc_mythsystem.o
>moc_mythdownloadmanager.o moc_mythmedia.o moc_mythcdrom.o
>moc_mythhttphandler.o moc_referencecounter.o moc_filesysteminfo.o
>moc_hardwareprofile.o moc_serverpool.o moc_system-unix.o
>moc_bonjourregister.o    -framework IOKit -lcrypto -lmp3lame
>-L/opt/local/lib -lm
>-L/opt/local/var/macports/build/_Users_craigtreleaven_MacPortsTemp_Myth.25/mythtv/work/mythtv-0.25-rc
>-lfreetype -lz -lbz2 -F/Developer/FireWireSDK26/Examples/Framework
>-framework AVCVideoServices -L -lQtSql_debug -lQtXml_debug
>-lQtGui_debug -lQtNetwork_debug -lQtCore_debug
>ld: -L must be immediately followed by a directory path (no space)
>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>make[2]: *** [libmythbase-0.25.0.25.0.dylib] Error 1

I *think* there is a section of mythtv's configure that creates
"LATE_LIBS" (line 4957-4992) but I could be entirely wrong.  I don't
know much about the build process.

I've been comparing my results to the osx buildbot and I can't seem
what I'm failing to do or doing differently.

Craig
* I'm trying to 'scratch my itch' for functional Perl and Python
bindings on OS X.  I hope to install the binding dependencies with
MacPorts and build with the bindings installed in the normal spots
rather than in the .app bundle.  If I can get this to work, I'll
certainly share.