[mythtv] 0.25 Metadata v. Mac OS X

Yves Cayer ycayer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 01:29:05 UTC 2012

>On 03/22/2012 02:39 PM, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> I was trying out 0.25-RC today (Mac OS X 10.6.8, Myth compiled from
>> source yesterday with osx-packager.pl). Most things work great but I
>> noticed what appears to be a problem with metadata. Attached screen
>> shot show the 'Artwork and Metadata Sources Setup' screen. I presume
>> there ought to be a Metadata Source input box for Movie and TV media
>> but it shows as a gaping blank spot on the screen:
>>
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26787680/0.25metadataSetup.png
>>
>> Didn't see anything useful in the log output for either the frontend
>> or backend.
>>
>> Thought I'd double check before filing a bug report...

This thread was originally started in mythtv-users, but it probably belongs here instead...

It looks like python always adds the current directory to the search path for modules. I quickly tried to make a symlink to the MythTV bindings from the metadata/Television directory and ran the ttvdb.py script successfully. However, I ran into some issues because recently the bindings were changed to use the select.poll() functionality which is not supported by the native MacOS python.  The solution is to install the official python binary.

I've modified the osx-packager-qtsdk.pl script to add the mythmetadatalookup binary to the MythBackend.app, along with the metadata scripts and the python bindings, with the proper symlinks. I was then able to run mythmetadatalookup from the app bundle even if the python bindings weren't installed on my system. It looks promising.

I've attached a diff, if anyone wants to try it. The only thing I need to resolve is that python bindings get installed in build/lib/python2.7 which I imagine would be different if the python version changed.