[mythtv] mythplayer.cpp query

Russell Gower mythtv at thegowers.me.uk
Tue Mar 13 14:20:32 UTC 2012

On 13 Mar 2012, at 13:40, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-03-13 at 11:00 +0000, Russell Gower wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm looking at the code to see if I can reduce the 5-20 second pauses in live tv between program changes on the same channel, and have a query about two of the methods in MythPlayer.
>>
>> Am I right in thinking that SwitchToProgram handles the changeover at as one recording ends and another starts and that JumpToProgram handles the changeover when the user selects another channel?
>
> You are looking in the wrong place. If you want to make channel changes
> on the same mux faster you want to look at tv_rec.cpp. You need a way
> to tell the recorder to start recording a different set of pids without
> going through the same code path used for conventional channel changes.
>
> -- Daniel

Hi Daniel,
  Isn't tv_rec.cpp part of the backend process that creates the recordings?

I've concatenated the recording files from two back to back recording together and verified that the transition between programs is practically seem less so i'm pretty sure creating the recording isn't the issue.

I then took a closer look at the frontend logs and could see a large (and variable) duration between the "SwitchToProgram - start" and "SwitchToProgram - end" entries, this method pauses playback, clears the decoded frames buffer (i think), opens the new recording file and then resumes play back - I'm looking to see if all that is really necessary.

thanks
  Russell