[mythtv] Proper package for new items in 0.25 beta?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Mar 7 01:12:56 UTC 2012

On 3/6/2012 16:36, Richard Shaw wrote:
> /usr/bin/mythccextractor

  Independent.  Uses the closed caption code in the shared libraries to
extract srt files from files.

> /usr/bin/mythmediaserver

Intended as a lightweight alternative for serving storage group content
on hosts that have no tuners.

> /usr/bin/mythmessage

Replaced by mythutil, due for removal prior to 0.25.

> /usr/bin/mythmetadatalookup

Called per-program after recording to populate season and episode
values.  Called globally to populate artwork for all shows.

> /usr/bin/mythutil (common?)

Collection point for assorted utilities formerly found as secondary
behaviors in other applications.

> /usr/share/mythtv/backend-config

Settings definition files as staging for mythtv-setup replacement.

> /usr/share/mythtv/bindings (common?)

Install location for php bindings used by MythWeb.

Smolt anonymous statistics collection.  See http://smolt.mythtv.org.

> /usr/share/mythtv/html (I'll have to move to /usr/share/doc/mythtv)

Do so and you'll break the backend web server.

> Also, there's a ton of files going into /usr/share/mythtv and I'm not
> sure what package they should get globed into.

Just put them all in that common package.  Since the bulk of
dependencies are on the shared libraries, and all applications link
against all of the shared libraries, there really isn't all that much
optimization to be had by breaking things into multiple packages.
You're really just limited to your runtime dependencies.  The frontend
requires a full X server, rather than just the basic X libraries, video
card drivers, potentially libdvdcss/libbluray, and allows the plugins,
on top of whatever the backend and all the libraries are linked directly
against.