[mythtv] Empty and missing recording files when making multiple simultaneous dvb recordings

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 14:39:32 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 7:17 AM, Roger James
<roger at beardandsandals.co.uk> wrote:
> On 28/06/12 21:27, John Pilkington wrote:
>>

>> I posted yesterday about failure to populate the 'watch recordings'
>> screen, but I believe this could be another instance of the problem above.
>>  It looked as if my backend failed when asked to record four dvb-t
>> recordings simultaneously.  I hadn't seen this before.  There had been lots
>> of system changes, and I wondered if the tuner identification had failed, so
>> I tried running mythtvsetup.  None of the tuners were recognised there,
>> although dmesg showed that they had been registered. I have gone back from
>> kernel 3.4.2-1 to 3.3.7-1 in fedora 16.x86_64 and mythtvsetup sees them
>> again.  I didn't make any changes there.  I'm using mythtv 0.24.3 build 283
>> from ATrpms dated 30 April.  I had made the kernel update earlier this week
>> when a suitable nvidia module became available at ATrpms.
>
> John,
>
> I am only seeing this particular problem since I moved to 0.25. Because it
> is a race condition  is not to say that it did not exist but with a lower
> probability in earlier versions. Because the backend ends up with two
> threads deadlocked it can produce some strange symptoms in any attached
> frontends. I have submitted a bug for it at
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10870. The work round is to set any DVB
> cards to only allow one simultaneous recording.

is it possible this occurs in similar conditions but not for DVB? I'm
having issues with 0.25.1 (after the hdpvr change) that sounds
similar, and am wondering perhaps if that change in the hdpvr code is
causing a similar condition to occur all the time when two HDPVR are
present?

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!