[mythtv] mythtv branch master updated by gigem. v0.26-pre-525-g7fb9747

David Engel david at istwok.net
Tue Jun 12 15:06:32 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 12:54:35AM +1000, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On Tuesday, 12 June 2012, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > Yeah, good point.  It's now looking like some of the final conversion
> > stuff for the recording rules that David E is working on will require a DB
> > update that requires time-zone data inside the database, so at that point,
> > we'll have to put in the check on DB upgrade.
> >

> IMHO, having to set a new local time zone setting in the database,
> completely defeat the purpose of doing everything in UTC...
> All you've done is shift the problem elsewhere...
>
> If moving to UTC internally, means you have to fail if a time zone isn't
> set, why bother with UTC in the first place?

You don't have to set the local time zone in the database.  It will use
whatever is already configured for the system.  What you have to do is
load the time zone data into the database so it can translate between
local time and UTC.

This isn't a slight on all the hard work done by Daniel, but yes what
we have mostly done is trade one problem for another.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net