[mythtv] Format of new post-0.25 config.xml

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Sat Jun 2 15:40:57 UTC 2012

On 12-06-02 11:28 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:

> The only reason to read that file is to access the database, and since
> Bash has no support for MySQL, that means clumsily throwing data at the
> `mysql` command line client.

Uhm.  Yeah.  What's your point?  The mysql command line works just fine
in lieu of needing to spend the time to understand how some other
language specific bindings work.  This is especially true when one only
has the occasional task one needs to accomplish and doesn't spend a
regular enough amount of time working with the chosen bindings to make
the time spent learning how they work pay off.

And yes, I am sure I am going to get a load of "it real easy, I could
knock that off in a few minutes" type of responses but that's the answer
you always get from people who are entirely familiar with something that
others have not even the slightest of time or experience with.

Reminds me of the first time I ever went downhill skiing with a
life-long experienced skier (but not instructor).  After I was pointed
downward and shoved off the precipice I screamed down the hill in a
straight line until I decided things were only going to get worse, so
bailed and rolled the rest of the way down the hill and wound up with a
broken thumb.  Of course the first question was, "why didn't you do any
turns to slow yourself down?".  Seems like a really obvious question to
somebody who knows how to ski, I am sure.

Those with experience forget what ignorance is like.

b.