[mythtv] Help needed for RPM Fusion package modernizaton

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 15:05:27 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> sysv scripts are mostly dead for Fedora (EOL for F15 has
> already happened).  Ignore them, let then die in piece.

That's true for Fedora but we're also supporting EL6 so they'll still
be around for a while.

> In my opinion, the defaults should be to run as a "regular user",
> with no need to read/write to system directories.  The mythtv
> user should be created if it does not exist.

The spec currently creates a mythtv user and group but does not create
a home directory since only the backend runs as user mythtv by
default.

> HOME should
> not need to be set in the systemd scripts when the User=mythtv
> line exists in the systemd script.  Any configuration that is
> required for operation commonly created in /etc, /usr,
> should be copied to the (RPM created, if does not exist) mythtv
> user's .mythrv/ directory, using the RPM standards of "...rpmnew"
> if the configuration already exists and is different than the file
> you are trying to install (to the normal/correct name if the
> file does not exist).

Hmm... I don't think this will be acceptable. I don't know of any
package that creates a full user account on install and I don't think
it would be welcomed. The current method is to assume a system wide
install (no automatic dependence on anything in /home) for the backend
running as the mythtv user and the frontend using whatever login the
end user wants.

> The mythtv user should be added to the
> video and audio groups if the mythtv user is created by the RPM.

This is done already.

> The startup scripts should specify the user mythtv as the user
> to run the backend.  Create an appropriate /etc/limit.d/90-mythtv.conf
> file to set the audio group for rtprio.

The first part is the default in the systemd file but I'm unfamiliar
with /etc/limit.d/...

> An individual can always override all of these things in their
> copy of the service file that they place in /etc/systemd/system
> (and/or modify the ~mythtv/.mythtv/ files, as needed).

I haven't thought of all possible consequences of this but my
preference would be for the backend to not rely on anything in /home
and for the frontend to pretty much rely on ~/.mythtv. That leaves at
least one common denominator, config.xml.

Perhaps the best behavior here would be to use ~/.mythtv/config.xml if
it exists and fall back to /etc/mythtv/config.xml.

Richard