[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv branch master updated by cpinkham. v0.26-pre-894-gf66816d

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Wed Jul 18 04:47:07 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-18, at 12:00 AM, Chris Pinkham wrote:

> * On Mon Jul 16, 2012 at 11:59:10PM -0400, George Nassas wrote:
>> For fun I ran ffmpeg against all of my .ts files. It turns out there are 30,330 of them belonging to the 52 streams I have queued up to watch. Here are occurrence counts for the most common segment durations:
>>
>>   7429  00:00:11.52
>>   4560  00:00:12.00
>>   2309  00:00:02.97
>>   2291  00:00:11.97
>>   2290  00:00:11.99
>
> Dod you script this?  I'd like to run some tests here to test
> this.  I'm not sure what could be causing this right now.  I've
> noticed segments that vary in size by 50% or so, but didn't
> think that the lengths were different, I figured it was the
> encoding efficiency in some frames or sequences.

It was just a one-liner. All my media disks have a common root so I did a:

for TS in /disks/d?/streaming/*.ts; do
  ffmpeg -i $TS
done 2> all.ffmpeg

and then grep for Duration & use cut to narrow the line down to just the time part. From there sort and uniq -c got me the counts.

At one time the different Unixes had limits on command length but 30,000 fully qualified filenames must have made one hell of a long line.

- George