[mythtv] Packaging from tarball - version

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 20:09:02 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:
> OK, I can move -MacPorts to the version string rather than append it to the
> branch.
>
> The commitcount is a problem, though.  MacPorts is fundamentally designed
> around building from tarballs so, in the build system, I don't know of any
> way to ask git for this information.  I thought (wrongly?) that some other
> packager somewhere must also be building from tarballs and thus faced with
> the same constraint.  This can't be a deal-breaker if the SHA1 is listed,
> right?  From that, it is easy enough to get everything else.

We should be OK without the commitcount, but it's non-standard, and is
likely to confuse people eventually.  It shouldn't be a dealbreaker
though.  Having the correct branch name, however, is.  This is because
to debug, we'd check out the branch, then go back to the SHA1 of the
commit from there.  Having the commit count is nice, but not needed
for that, but having the wrong branch makes it pretty much impossible
to determine where bug fixes should even be applied in some
situations. :)

> PS I'm a bit confused why this has come up three weeks later?

Umm, because I've been too busy to read the mailing list in the interim? :)