[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 5e13d41a8 by Michael T. Dean (sphery)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 31 16:36:57 UTC 2012

"Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> writes:

>> Remove support for GNOME screensaver.
>> Therefore, this patch removes the GNOME screensaver legacy inhibit
>> support so that users of GNOME screensaver, like users of KDE
>> screensaver, will fall back to getting DPMS-based screensaver control.
>> If GNOME screensaver, like KDE screensaver, actually takes the hint when
>> the DPMS state is changed, this should allow users to once again run
>> GNOME screensaver (which has been unsupported since GNOME broke
>> gnome-screensaver-command --poke) without the screensaver activating
>> during playback.  If GNOME screensaver doesn't take a clue from the DPMS
>> state, GNOME screensaver should be fixed.
>
> If someone can confirm that GNOME screensaver does not activate during
> playback after this change, I'd be happy to "backport" it to
> 0.24-fixes.  Note that the patch should apply to 0.24-fixes, too, so if
> you compile MythTV yourself and are using 0.24-fixes, you can test it
> without upgrading to unstable/development code.

GNOME Screensaver has other issues in GNOME-3!  On my system the
screensaver activates even when the frontend is just sitting at the
menus.  So in the morning I have to hit the keyboard to get the screen
to start up at all.  I don't know if it honors DPMS; I suspect not
because I thought I turned off DPMS but it still blanks the screen after
an hour of non-use.  (This is on Fedora 16)

> Mike

-derek