[mythtv] decryption as a post-recording user job instead of recording already decrypted video

Pascal Vandeputte mythtv-dev at asmodeus.be
Tue Jan 24 17:45:43 UTC 2012

<My apologies about the formatting of my previous mail, I'm still on a
quest for the perfect KMail settings while working at a company with
mostly Exchange + Outlook users...>

Hi,

For many years now the Flemish DVB-S provider TV Vlaanderen (part of
M7 group) posed no restrictions on the number of simultaneously
decrypted programs. You could happily record 5 programs simultaneously
without problems, only in 1% of the cases the smartcard acts weird and
you end up with an empty recording in mythtv (0 or 376 bytes).

Since december though, there is an anti-cardsharing restriction in
place which limits simultaneous decryption to 2 channels (or 4, but
only if you buy their "approved" settop box). I can sympathize with
that (although I doubt the effectiveness of it). Now, even if I
configure only 2 tuners in my backend, I end up with a lot of empty
recordings because the smartcard locks itself for a while if you
request too many different channels in an arbitrary amount of time. I
don't know how that's possible, perhaps because EIT gathering has an
influence on the number of requested programs.

Some time ago a patch was submitted in an effort to make MythTV record
encrypted data and decrypt it later as a user job or when watching the
recording. The idea was to allow many simultaneous recordings of
encrypted video, and decrypt it at playback time or as a user job.
Many existing settop boxes do it that way.

http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2010-July/068820.html

I was wondering if anything was done with this patch, because that's
still unclear after reading the entire thread. It could even be a
solution for the 1% of failed recordings I observed before (because
the smartcard had a hiccup), the job could then just be re-run.

Best regards,

Pascal