[mythtv] Mythcommflag final commercial break

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 15:35:43 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:
> * On Tue Nov 29, 2011 at 09:28:46AM -0800, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
>> At the same time, it's a minor annoyance when editing, and it seems
>> kind of unclean to deliberately "corrupt" the data before writing it
>> to the database.  What would you think of a patch that writes a
>> correct skiplist into the database, and the commskip portion of
>> playback makes a local modification to shorten the final skip region
>> if necessary?
>
> This would be fine I believe.  It's better to have the skip list correct
> in the database and have the player prevent auto-skipping to EOF.  This
> would also make things easier on people who convert the skip list to
> a cut list.  Currently they'd miss cutting the last 1-2 seconds of the
> recording.
>
> You wouldn't even have to modify the skip list in the player, just check
> to see that any auto-skip forward doesn't take you to or past EOF and
> if so, seek to ~2 seconds before EOF to give the user a chance to back
> up if they want.

I finally got a chance to look at this again.  Instead of creating an
open-ended final skip region, I tried creating a closed region where
the end point is (arbitrarily) 10 seconds past the end of the
recording.  This seems to work well without any changes to the
playback code.  When commercial auto-skip is enabled, it doesn't skip
the final break.  If you try to manually skip past the final break,
you get the "At End, cannot Skip." message.  Loading the skip list in
the program editor as the cut list does the right thing.

This seems like reasonable behavior all around.  I'll submit the patch
if no one sees a problem.

Jim