[mythtv] FFmpeg resync

David Osguthorpe david.osguthorpe at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 18:04:18 UTC 2012

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 10:13:05AM +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>    On Sunday, 16 December 2012, David Osguthorpe wrote:
>
>      On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 06:39:20PM +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>      > On 15 December 2012 10:00, David Osguthorpe
>      <[1]david.osguthorpe at gmail.com> wrote:
>      > > the error came from the ffmpeg function ffio_limit in
>      libavformat/utils.c
>      > > "Truncating packet of size..."
>      > >
>      > > further exploration showed that the libav version of ffmpeg does
>      not
>      > > include this ffio_limit change (This is ubuntu 12.04)
>      >
>      > do you have a ffmpeg changeset I can refer to ?
>      >
>      from the mythtv error messages Im suspicious that the seeking around
>      in commerical flagging is somehow messing with the end of file
>      detection
>      this ffmpeg code seems to be using - the errors suggest the
>      commercial
>      detector is reading data that ffmpeg with the ffio_limit function
>      claims is past EOF
>
>    If you want changes to go into ffmpeg, the best long term solution is
>    to get them incorporated into ffmpeg upstream, or submit code that
>    works around the behaviour they have introduced on our side of the
>    code.
>
>    From most of the cases I've seen whenever we have had an incorrect
>    behaviour, is because we didn't use ffmpeg properly, not the other way
>    round.
>
>    So I suggest you raise a bug report with ffmpeg directly.

thanks

the reason I havent reported a "bug" is because Im still not sure who is
at fault - I have had a small look at both codes and nothing seems to jump out
but it is not simple code to figure out - it may just be the setup Im using
and then there is the whole libav/ffmpeg issue - being on Ubuntu Im not using
ffmpeg but libav for external transcoding - only just beginning to understand
the difference between the mpeg format and the dvd format in ffmpeg as well

David