[mythtv] FFmpeg resync

David Osguthorpe david.osguthorpe at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 23:00:02 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 08:16:48AM +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> This should also allow to resync with ffmpeg during point release
> (e.g. 0.27.0, 0.27.1 etc) rather than only during major new release.

Hi

If you are making ffmpeg updates you might be interested in the following

Since 0.26 I have had to patch ffmpeg in order to handle transcoded HDPVR
recordings.

Previously I have been transcoding HDPVR recordings from mpegts to mpeg
- for some reason which I cant exactly remember now this was the only
format that worked for playing on XBMC via mythbox - although that might
have been my inexperience at the time (2 years ago)
(at the time mythtvs frontend did not work with E350 machines)

since updating to 0.26 the transcoded mpeg format recordings would not properly
run through commercial flagging (they play OK) - failing around 90%
of the way through with an ffmpeg library error - essentially EOF
- and the last 1 or 2 commercials are not flagged

the error came from the ffmpeg function ffio_limit in libavformat/utils.c
"Truncating packet of size..."

further exploration showed that the libav version of ffmpeg does not
include this ffio_limit change (This is ubuntu 12.04)

So I use a patched version of the ffmpeg mythtv sources in which
Ive removed the call to ffio_limit in av_get_packet - which seems
to allow commercial flagging to finish

David