[mythtv] MythTV life-cycle support intentions

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Thu Aug 23 01:13:27 UTC 2012

On 23/08/2012 9:36 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> Ultimately, this goes back to my point that if downgrading were painless
> (including inserting between-upgrade-and-downgrade recordings back into
> the downgraded database), you'd get a lot more people willing to test
> pre-GA.
>
> b.

Seems to me that, it would not be to difficult to write and
import/export script that either;

     Exports all current recordings and relevant data since schema was
change (either automatically via date stored in database of when schema
was updated [if this data is even stored] or via a user entered date
     Imports routine would ignore any new data not required/used by
previous schema

OR

     Exports the entire database into say XML, so that import routine
from previous version can simply ignore data that it does not
recognize.  IMHO this would provide a better backup, as it would be
"compatible" with any version of Myth, rather than current backup which
is only compatible with current versions or newer versions.

Regards,
Michael