[mythtv] MythTV life-cycle support intentions

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Aug 22 23:36:43 UTC 2012

On 12-08-22 06:31 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> I suppose, then, that you never ever record any Movies?

Actually, no, I don't.  If I want to watch a movie, I'd rather see it
not-edited-for-television and commercialized.  So I rent it.

> ("But why are
> *some* movies in Watch Recordings and others in Video Library and how do
> I know which ones I will find where, again?")

Doesn't happen here.

> For me, the origin and
> type (TV or movies) of the video is really irrelevant.  If I record
> Stargate SG-1 and love it so much that I decide I want to see the
> Stargate movies and buy the DVDs, I'm not going to keep the TV series in
> Watch Recordings and the movies I ripped from DVD in Video Library--I'll
> put it all together in the one location that allows me to add any video
> and organize it myself.

In fact, the difference between TV Recordings and Videos is even more
subtle than that.  It's mostly about "transientness" where Videos is for
stuff you want to keep and TV Recordings is for stuff you want to watch,
because it was shown, and then you delete it.  But this transientness
directly correlates (movies shown on TV that you decide to archive,
aside -- but as I said, we don't do that here) between TV Recordings and
Videos.

But this correlation between location and transientness supports my
argument of craziness: it's unnatural to go looking for these transient
recordings in Videos.

> I was describing the right approach for making sure you can watch
> recordings

Which are most likely transient TV Recordings.

> made after you upgraded but before you decided to downgrade
> instead of fixing the issue.  If you actually plan to keep those
> recordings--they're not just watch and delete shows--then you should
> really put them in Video Library,

Sure, but that's a strawman to the issue -- having to put transient
recordings that happened between upgrade and downgrade somewhere where
they are not expected.

> along with all the other episodes of
> that show.

But again, it's a strawman to start talking about the possibility that
these between upgrade and downgrade recordings *might* be desirable to
long-term archive in Videos.  I'd posit that more times than not, they
don't qualify and are just transient recordings.

> If you have other related recordings from before the
> upgrade, move them to Video Library, too--even if you don't plan to keep
> them--just to keep them together.  (Video Library is designed for
> managing large collections of video, unlike Watch Recordings,

Right.  I'd suggest that a "collection" implies a desire for long-term
storage.  Most TV Recordings probably don't qualify for the average
viewer/user.  My TV Recordings set is quite large, almost none of which
I desire long-term storage of.  In fact, quite a bit of it will be
deleted without even watching.  This is because we record every new show
on -- September is gangbusters for Mythtv around here.  We of course
cannot watch every new show, but we can wait out the first 3 months and
see what survives and what doesn't and purge what doesn't.

> and you
> can organize it how you like and use file names that are meaningful, so
> that the content is always identifiable even if you lose the MythTV
> database and ...)

Again, all strawman.  Let's talk about the transient recordings you get
between upgrade and downgrade.

> So the part you're not getting is that I'm not saying to just put random
> things in Video Library--I'm saying put anything there that you plan to
> keep.

Sure.  No argument from me.  But I was addressing your point of putting
between-upgrade-and-downgrade recordings into the Video library as well
simply because they would not be considered recorded by /this/ MythTV
instance.  That's why all of the rest of this archival-quality moving of
stuff to Videos is a strawman to this point.

Ultimately, this goes back to my point that if downgrading were painless
(including inserting between-upgrade-and-downgrade recordings back into
the downgraded database), you'd get a lot more people willing to test
pre-GA.

b.