[mythtv] MythTV 0.26, XVideo, and OpenGL

dargllun dargllun at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 20 05:57:33 UTC 2012

On 19.04.2012 21:02, dargllun wrote:
> On the bright side, the OSS drivers have very much improved over the
> last years, and substantially so by AMD devs. It would be good if the
> OSS drivers would be supported by mythtv, cause they'll stay around. For
> the time being, Xv is mandatory, but perhaps OpenGL will be an option in
> the future if it's real-time performance improves. (It doesn't appear to
> be a CPU issue as Lawrence and I have observed!)

As a small follow up, at the end of my testing session last night, when
I reverted the system back to the OSS drivers, I still had enabled the
opengl renderer and for exactly one time I got a perfect picture,
without any judder! "top" should absolutely reasonable values and I just
could not believe my eyes. I exited watching and double checked the
renderer settings. I then restarted and things were worse as ever: the
video came out in juddery, jerky bursts, a complete nightmare. I know
such a report sounds lame and everybody will be thinking I must have
missed something very important. But for the life of me I can't figure
it out. (Of course I do have configured real-time priorities and I let
Myth adjust the display frequency according to the video).

Greg