[mythtv] MythTV 0.26, XVideo, and OpenGL

dargllun dargllun at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 18 06:27:53 UTC 2012

On 18.04.2012 01:50, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> As a side note, last week I upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 and also tried
> the latest ATI drivers as of early April 2012.
>
> OpenGL painter with OpenGL rendering was just perfect. I had some
> tearing which disappeared after I set the "Tear-free desktop" option.
>
> I was very pleased. It worked brilliantly and the quality was as good
> as it could be (when using non-nvidia deinterlacers that is)..

Thanks for reporting this. I must admit I don't try every single fglrx
release anymore. Funny though, over at the xbmc-xvba guys, the first
thing they urge you to do is turn OFF "Tear-free desktop" :-) It's a mess...

> OSS Radeon OpenGL was broken for me however still... Had to use Qt/Xv
> ; which gave me a good quality anyway...

Indeed. But again, OpenGL isn't broken, it's just not yet fully
real-time. But then again I'm using cutting edge Mesa drivers which may
be better than stock ones.

> I had no issue with suspend / resume with either drivers...

Long run is what counts - care to report again in a month or so when
there's been plenty of suspend/resume cycles without a reboot?

Greg