[mythtv] Python scripts, shebangs, and permissions

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 21:17:40 UTC 2012

I've built some 0.25 test packages for Fedora and decided to run
rpmlint on the resultant packages. The whole log is quite long so I
grep'd through it for specific issues, two of which are:

- Non-executable script
- Script without shebang

These two are basically opposites. In the first the script has a
shebang but is not executable. In the second, the script is executable
but lacks a shebang.

Here's the extending description from rpmlint:
$ rpmlint -I non-executable-script
non-executable-script:
This text file contains a shebang or is located in a path dedicated for
executables, but lacks the executable bits and cannot thus be executed.  If
the file is meant to be an executable script, add the executable bits,
otherwise remove the shebang or move the file elsewhere.

$ rpmlint -I script-without-shebang
script-without-shebang:
This text file has executable bits set or is located in a path dedicated for
executables, but lacks a shebang and cannot thus be executed.  If the file is
meant to be an executable script, add the shebang, otherwise remove the
executable bits or move the file elsewhere.

I believe all the files in the python site-packages directory should
not be executable but I'm not sure about all the scripts in
/usr/share/mythtv/...

Here's a link for the complete logs:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34775202/mythtv-non-executable-script
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34775202/mythtv-script-without-shebang