[mythtv] Note for people who have cloned MythTV repo

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Thu Apr 12 10:05:11 UTC 2012

On 12/04/2012 09:08, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 1:03 AM, Paul Gardiner<lists at glidos.net>  wrote:
>> On 11/04/2012 23:39, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>>> Are you sure that's the best advice? If someone has a repo from before the
>>> renaming, with no additional commits of their own, then git fetch will leave
>>> them with exactly the same result as a fresh cloning, without all the
>>> commits being redownloaded. If they do have commits or branches of their own
>>> then git fetch additionally avoids losing them.
>
> If someone has a clean repo with no additional commits of their own, a
> reclone will still do no harm.  The only repo that basically requires
> that is the extras.  The others can be easily dealt with otherwise,
> but for newbies, it's *still* easiest to just reclone.  If people have
> the expertise to do things the other ways, they wouldn't be asking,
> would they? :)

Fair enough.

> And a clone will not lose any commits to their previously cloned repo.

Yes, but then their previously cloned repo becomes an out-of-date thing
and if they have work in progress they'd probably need to move commits
from the old to the new, which is awkward. git fetch --prune is nice
and simple.

What's the best thing to do with a forked repo on github? I'm guessing:
make sure you have a local clone containing anything you don't want to
lose, delete the forked repo, recreate it and then push anything of
your own from the local copy. Do you know any better way?

Cheers,
	Paul.