[mythtv] Trailing spaces in callsigns

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 13:38:13 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 1:18 AM, Jerry Rubinow <jerrymr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 12:31 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com
> > wrote:
>
>> On 09/15/2011 09:58 PM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:

>> the channel callsigns before doing the comparison for merging channels in
>> the program guide?
>> time the callsign is inserted into the database instead of all the places
>> that it's read back from the database?

>> trailing/leading whitespace.
>> callsigns
>> the
>> > I started looking at mythtv-setup, channeleditor.cpp to be specific.  I
>> see
>> > where it reads the DB and populates the UI with the channel info, but I
>> > don't see how edited info gets back into the DB.  Background: lots of
>> C++
>> > experience, not so much with QT, some DB work, enough to puzzle my way
>> > through understanding a query.
>> >

>> Looks like ChannelUtil::CreateChannel() and
>> ChannelUtil::UpdateChannel(), which are probably used by the frontend
>> editor, too.
>>
>> Also, it seems that the xmltv config(?) uses
>> ChannelData::handleChannels().
>

> Ok, it looks like there are four places that UPDATE the channel table and
> one place that INSERTs into the channel table.  Would modifying these five
> places to trim trailing whitespace before modifying callsign cover all four
> channel editors?
>
> UPDATE:
> libmythtv/tv_rec.cpp:
> SetChannelInfo
> mfdb/channeldata.cpp:
> handleChannels
> libmythtv/datadirect.cpp:
> UpdateChannelsUnsafe
> libmythtv/channelutil.cpp:
> UpdateChannel
>
> INSERT:
> libmythtv/channelutil.cpp:
> CreateChannel
>
> -Jerry

I put trimmed() calls in all the above places, but mythtv-setup doesn't seem
to use UpdateChannel in channelutil.cpp in the channel editor.  I'm having a
bit of trouble following the GUI code as far as finding the code path from
channeleditor.cpp to any code which updates the database.  It looks like
ChannelEditor::edit puts up the channel edit screen, using ChannelWizard,
and then updates the main page when the user is done, using fillList. So I
guess the updating must happen inside ChannelWizard, but I'm unable to find
any code path to database updating.  Any nudges in the right direction
appreciated.

Also, Mike, you mentioned a frontend channel editor and HTTP setup channel
editor - is the MFE channel editor somewhere in the setup screens?
 What/where is the HTTP setup?

Thanks,
Jerry