[mythtv] DXVA2 crashes exiting playback (8620)

Eric Smith erictsmith at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 14:20:46 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 5:06 AM, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19 Sep 2011, at 20:44, Eric Smith <erictsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I recently built out a w32 frontend with DXVA2 support with much help
>> from Lawrence.  I'm seeing crashes on playback exit.  Mark, I noticed
>> that you already documented this issue on ticket 8620.  Would you like
>> me to attach a backtrace or can I help in anyway towards a resolution?
>
> Any backtrace would be helpful though some input from someone with more experience in windows development than me would be very welcome. From memory, I'm fairly sure it's a simple reference counting issue with one or more of the dxva allocated objects/structures.
>
> I've been offline for some time however  and when I do finally get back online properly and have some time for mythtv, the windows issues will likely be low on my list of priorities - so if someone else wants to take the lead...
>
> Regards
> Mark

Thanks Mark.  When I run the frontend through the debugger the crash
seems to not occur, so I'm assuming this is a race condition?  I took
a few looks through the code and added in some additional playback
logging.  The last few logged lines seem to come from
MythPlayer::VideoEnd but I don't believe that's actually responsible
for the crash.  I am a software developer, but admittedly out of my
league here.  I'd be happy to help out more if anyone can give me some
pointers.