[mythtv] mythtv/master commit: 0e84bfed2 by Michael T. Dean (sphery)

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue Sep 20 14:59:30 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 09:29 -0500, David Engel wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 10:36:36AM +0100, Paul Harrison wrote:
> > On 20/09/11 03:19, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > > http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8513#comment:2
> > > but anyone interested in making a patch really should present a complete
> > > design for approval before spending much time on it, since I know that
> > > several of the theming/UI devs have ideas of how it should work.
> > >
> > > Mike
> >
> > Wasn't there a more generic patch that would allow any theme to override
> > or convert keypresses? IIRC it allowed any widget to change say a LEFT
> > keypress to SELECT if it made sense for the theme and the context. Don't
> > remember why it was rejected though. I've searched trac and the lists
> > but can't find it anywhere.
>
> Yes, there was a patch.  I thought I'd kept a copy of it myself, but
> can't seem to find it either.

Hmmm, I think at this point that would be welcome. I had some ideas to
automate arrow acceleration a few years ago, but never found the time.

I really don't like the MythUI stuff because of all the usability losses
we've had to make for eye candy and theming flexibility. The arrow
acceleration keys are just a high profile example of that. Probably more
difficult are setup screens where you need to use different keys to move
to the next item depending on the type of item you are currently in;
that means when I need to edit the 7th item on the screen I can't just
press the down arrow 7 times and end up there. Instead I need to move to
each of the 7 items and pick the direction (right or down) that will get
me out of that item and on to the next. There was a lot of work put into
MythUI so I try hard not to complain too much, but I do dearly miss the
polish and the comparative ease of use of the 0.19 MythTV UI.

-- Daniel