[mythtv] Feature: Multiple "mark as watched"

Tobias Kaminsky tobias at kaminsky.me
Fri Sep 16 17:34:08 UTC 2011

On 13/09/11 21:46, Ronald Frazier wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>> There would be no need to create a popup
>> dynamically sized for the users on the system, because you would only ever
>> be affecting that information which corresponds to the current user.
> So do you propose to forbid 2 people watching a program at the same
> time? Obviously not, but it would be nice if you could mark multiple
> people as having watched the show, to save you from having to manually
> traverse the menus to mark it for each person.
>

>> No one has really wanted to implement anything less than that, as it would
>> appear rather "kludgy", and half hearted.  On the other hand, doing it
>> properly is a fairly extensive overhaul of a lot of the MythTV codebase, so
>> you can understand why no one has successfully done it yet.
> Well, that's the problem. Doing it the "right" way all at once is too
> much of an overhaul. I'd propose it has a much better chance of
> succeeding if done incrementally. First make it so you can
> (optionally) mark a recording rule so that the recording is assigned
> to specific users. Then have a menu option for the recording so that
> you can manage who still needs to watch it. In the delete prompt box
> there would be an extra button to mark it as watched, and if there is
> more than 1 user needing to watch a program, the default button would
> be to mark it as watched rather than to delete it.
>
> All the stuff about a user logging in, customizing the view,
> etc...that can all be worked out later and build off the basics. I
> will admit, my opinion may be a little skewed here, since the above
> "basics" are the minimum that would satisfy me, and anything more than
> that would just be gravy. But I think that's probably a pretty good
> start.

This is my idea:
At start of mythfrontend one can pick a user.
If I watch a recording and select "mark as watched" it is automatically
marked for my user.
There will aditionally be the option "Multiple mark as watched", where a
popup appears and all users are shown with a checkbox which shows if
this specific user has watched the show or not.
So this should satisfy all mentioned situations.

If this is ok for you, I would try to implement it.

Later, one can implement the feature that only recordings which belong
to an own recording rule, are displayed.
(Then, of course the popup must be adjusted as it must be filled only
with users who have "recorded" this show...)

Tobias