[mythtv] Feature: Multiple "mark as watched"

Tobias Kaminsky tobias at kaminsky.me
Tue Sep 13 12:37:32 UTC 2011

On 13/09/11 01:38, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 22:17:47 +0200, Tobias Kaminsky <tobias at kaminsky.me>
> wrote:
>> On 12/09/11 09:48, Elkin Fricke wrote:
>>> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Tobias Kaminsky <tobias at kaminsky.me
>>> <mailto:tobias at kaminsky.me>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Hello,
>>>
>>>     I want to implement a feature, which allows all users to seperatly
>>>     mark
>>>     a recording as watched.
>>>     There would be a new popup after one chose "mark as watched" where
>>>     one
>>>     could pick the users that have watched the show.
>>>     If all users have watched a recording it will be auto-expire (if
>>>     one has
>>>     checked this option).
>>>
>>>     My question is, if there is another approach which will do this? I
>>>     want
>>>     to avoid that my patch/suggestion is not used by any other but
> me...
>>>     Thank you for this great software!
>>>
>>>     Tobi
>>>

>>> Hi Tobi,
>>>
>>> you can search the Dev and User lists for "multi user" and you will
>>> find many ideas but no implementations. I would love this feature.
>>>
>>> Cheers

>> Hello Elkin,
>>
>> I have started with this feature.
>> Currently I try to "hardcode" two users without database support.
>> I want to use some kind of toggle Button to select/deselect a watched
>> recording for a user.
>> I have found MythUICheckBox. But all references use a XML file via
>> checkBox = dynamic_cast<MythUICheckBox*>(GetChild("foo"));
>> So it is not possible to create a popup for a dynamic count of users?
> The general idea is that the use of users is pervasive throughout the
> frontend.  When someone sits down at the tv, they specify who they are.
> Their specific settings get loaded in.  Watch Recordings filters for only
> that content they wanted to record.  If they watch a recording, it gets
> marked as watched by their user.  There would be no need to create a popup
> dynamically sized for the users on the system, because you would only ever
> be affecting that information which corresponds to the current user.

I understand the idea and think that it is a better approach if there
are multiple frontends.
In my case (and this is initially why I want to implement this feature)
we only have one frontend but several users.
Sometimes a recording is watched by all users at the same time. So then
this recording could be marked as watched for all users with one button.
(How could this be done with "your" idea?)
> No one has really wanted to implement anything less than that, as it would
> appear rather "kludgy", and half hearted.  On the other hand, doing it
> properly is a fairly extensive overhaul of a lot of the MythTV codebase, so
> you can understand why no one has successfully done it yet.  There was a
> GSoC project back in 2006 to write such a system, but it never went
> anywhere.  I don't believe any further attempts ever made it past planning.
I know that my way is not a complete solution, but do you see a
possibility that this patch would be accepted? (Although I will programm
it for me, I do want give something back to MythTV)...

Tobi