[mythtv] deadlock?? problem, but not when running mythbackend through gdb

Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Oct 2 15:10:49 UTC 2011

On 2011-10-02, at 11:05, Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

> On 2011-10-02, at 9:12, Robert Verspuy <robert at exa-omicron.nl> wrote:
>
>> I've bin trying for a while now, but I can't seem to find what exactly is going wrong.
>>
>> I'm using CentOS 6 (latest updates), and just downloaded today mythtv from github.
>> When running mythbackend with loglevel debug and verbose all, I see the following message in mythfrontend
>>
>>> <snip>
>>> 2011-10-02 15:03:04.503860 E  MythSocket(14a7760:69): readStringList: Error, timed out after 7000 ms.
>>> 2011-10-02 15:03:04.503868 D  MythSocket(14a7760:69): state change Connected -> Idle
>>> 2011-10-02 15:03:04.503887 D  MSocketDevice::close: Closed socket 69
>>> 2011-10-02 15:03:04.503893 C  Protocol version check failure.
>>>             The response to MYTH_PROTO_VERSION was empty.
>>>             This happens when the backend is too busy to respond,
>>>             or has deadlocked in due to bugs or hardware failure.
>

>> In the backend, I don't see any logging line from this incomming connection, totally nothing.
>>
>> Robert Verspuy
>
> In six years of mythtv'ing I have only seen the myth-proto empty error when the FE user cannot properly connect to the mysql server.
> The BE usually running as root never seems to have this problem.
> There are a number of places to check but start by checking your hostname setting in /etc/sysconfig/network (typo's are *such* fun) then check your /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml and mysql.txt files carefully. Find, delete and replace with symlinks any copies of those files you may have elsewhere (/home/mythtv or /root).
> Then get to the mysql console as root user, 'use mysql' to select the mysql database and 'select host, user, password from user;'.
> This will list all mysql users by name, their host, and a hash of their password. I only have root and mythtv users on the mythbox, each with hostname and localhost entries. You might see 127.0.0.1 listed as well and possibly your machine's IP address. For anything other than IP addresses you need a good /etc/hosts file. All password hashes for the same user should be the same!
>
> Finally, run mythtv-setup and confirm the IP and name of the machine.
> The only other 'gotcha' is to try connecting to a remote mysql server which has skip-networking (remote access) turned off. This setting makes no difference if you use 127.0.0.1 throughout and have a 127.0.0.1 localhost line in hosts.
>
> Lots of places to go off track and since the default setup normally does the job we rarely need to deal with them.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Geoff

Just to be clear, the 'backend' referred to in the proto-empty error message is the MYSQL server backend, which the mysql client is unable to connect to.
Geoff