[mythtv] [mythtv-users] Playback of encrypted dvd iso images from storage group

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 19:00:07 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Lawrence Rust <lvr at softsystem.co.uk> wrote:
> No direct, in the open, criticism about 'piracy' but when it comes to
> copying or ripping, just a great deal of inertia.  The criticism seems
> to be that my patches are just too big.  I sense sensitive toes.

There may be some truth to the sensitive toes part, but also, your
patches are often too big to adequately review without a lot of spare
time to look things over.  Thus they tend to sit until someone has the
time and energy to go through them.  We aren't getting paid to do
this, remember... it's spare cycles only.  Smaller, more contained
patches are easier to get accepted as it's far easier to review, test
and have a general confidence level in the changes.

> I don't believe so.  I submitted patches to MythMusic to replace the
> obsolete libcdaudio with libcdio and hence allow CD ripping, playback
> and cddb lookup on Win32 systems.  These were submitted over a year ago
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9362 and have been ignored.  Most
> likely they're useless now as the code has moved on considerably.

You can not judge all of MythTV on MythMusic.  The developer who does
MythMusic seems to be quite busy, and has asked the rest of us to
refrain from changing the codebase there while he reworks it.  Your
patches, like pretty much all others for MythMusic, are pending his
attention.  When he's ready, we can work on reworking the patches to
fit current code.

> The DVD ripping patches will stay on my website.  If someone wants to
> work them into master I'll give them any advice that they request.  But
> I don't expect to hear from anyone.

You are likely better off creating a github account, making a fork
within your account, and applying and publishing your changes there.
That will give us a way to review things easier, and even pull
straight from your tree.

> There are also a number of patches that add BBC iPlayer functionality
> that also look like they're going the same way.

Those have been looked at, and I think the consensus was that there
were parts that may be troubling policy-wise, but on the whole, it was
OK.  It will take time for people to have the time and energy to work
things in, and we only have a certain number of UK-resident developers
that can even test to see if it's working.  Most of the more active
developers are in the US, and regardless, we are all fairly busy with
life or working on other parts of MythTV.