[mythtv] Number of cards for active EIT scan?

Terjesen Jens Peder Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Fri Nov 25 08:20:50 UTC 2011

Ian Dobson wrote:
From: "Terjesen Jens Peder"
Sent: Thursday, November 24, 2011 4:32 PM
To: <mythtv-dev at mythtv.org>
Subject: [mythtv] Number of cards for active EIT scan?

> Hi.
>
> I sent this question to the mythtv-users list three weeks ago but have
> not received any answers.
> I have also searched on the wiki without finding any information.
> As it is probably necessary to know, or look into the code for answers
> I hope it is OK for me to post the question here.
>
> I have a combined BE/FE with three DVB-S2 cards.
> For some years I have had only one satellite position and using EIT
> for EPG has been working quite well.
> The long term EPG is not very detailed, but the now/next information
> contains episode information and description so duplicate detection
> has been working quite good as well.
>
> In May I connected a second dish for another satellite position. All
> DVB-S2 cards are connected in the same way to both dishes with Diseqc
> switches.
> After doing this I have noticed that MythTV quite often, or at least
> more often than before, misses the now/next update and thus duplicate
> detection is less reliable than before.
>
> I have usually configured only the lowest priority card to be used for
> active EIT scan.
> If I set all cards to be used for active EIT scan will more than one
> be used at the same time for this task?
>
> Jens

Hi,

I would say yes. I have two dvb-c tuners installed in my backend and I see EIT updates comming in from both cards at the same time.

I even have a munin script that monitors the last EIT update per tuner:- http://mail.planet-ian.com/munin/planet-ian.com/alpha2.planet-ian.com/MythtvLastEIT.html

Regards
Ian Dobson

Thank you for your reply.

I have had some tuning problems that I thought might have been connected to active EIT scanning on all cards, but it looks like I have resolved that issue now.
I will set active EIT scan on all cards again and see how it goes.

Jens