[mythtv] A perl QAM scanner - call for volunteers

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Nov 17 15:58:48 UTC 2011

On 11-11-10 08:22 PM, Robert Kulagowski wrote:

> I've created a perl scanner which leverages the information we can get
> from a HDHR-cable card system to create an accurate call sign to QAM
> mapping.  It will help end the issue of not knowing which QAM
> frequencies have which content on them (without watching each channel
> to figure it out).

I guess this is specific to HDHR and CableCard setups only?  :-(

I was so excited thinking that this was a generic [clear]qam scanner
that one could use on a say, nightly, basis to find and/or document the
changes in [clear]qam channels from one day to the next.

> Tribune's systems (the source of the data for Schedules Direct) are
> not programmed to support QAM because the cable companies don't want
> to distribute QAM data, so Tribune isn't going to do the R&D to
> support QAM if there's no "market" for it. Since the cable companies
> are the ones that would need to request the requirement, (and they're
> not), Tribune isn’t going to implement something which won’t be used,
> and which the cable companies won’t supply data for in the first
> place.  We've asked Tribune, and for whatever reason, the cable
> companies seem to consider QAM tuning information as proprietary.

Right.  But is there any reason this facility that you are building into
SD cannot be also used for clearqam users that want to share the
mappings they have developed?

Cheers,
b.