[mythtv] A need for advanced player settings

Dan Wilga mythtv-dev2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Tue May 31 20:01:11 UTC 2011

On 5/31/11 3:26 PM, Kyle Rose wrote:
>> So far that isn't so bad, the problem is that users C, D, and E who
>> have no idea what they are doing just search google and find the
>> commands to run in the mailing list archive without reading the
>> documentation, 6 month later one of they runs into a different problem
>> which is actually caused by the setting they changed in the table when
>> they really had no idea what they are doing.  They come onto the
>> mailing list and everyone struggles to help them out, not realizing
>> that they actually adjusted something which caused the fault in the
>> first place.
>>
> Which is precisely why the kernel folks came up with tainting: so they
> could easily identify users took some action that was unsupported. A
> similar system combined with a utility to easily gather information
> about a user's configuration would probably work here.

I agree that having a utility to dump a user's settings and highlight
the ones that are different from the defaults would be very useful,
similar to the way Firefox's "about:settings" does it. Then, when a user
reports a difficult problem, you can first insist that they post the
output of this command. Of course, it would have to obfuscate any
sensitive information, like passwords.