[mythtv] A need for advanced player settings

Kyle Rose krose at krose.org
Tue May 31 14:26:00 UTC 2011

> So my current thinking is that the increased buffer size is just
> masking some inefficiency/performance issue with the remote file
> access.

This is the whole point of buffering. :-)

I was arguing in my OP that you can't have hard-coded settings for the
ringbuffer that are one-size-fits-all, because they're going to make
*somebody* unhappy: either the person who complains that seeking is
too sluggish, or the person (like me) who can't even play a particular
video from a local SSD without pauses. The default settings are fine
for 95% of cases, but the other 5% need to be able to turn dials.

More information about the mythtv-dev mailing list