[mythtv] A need for advanced player settings

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Fri May 27 16:33:54 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 8:02 AM, Lennart Sorensen
<lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> You run both the front and backend on something as slow as an atom?
> I am impressed.  I wouldn't try that.

My observation, though not backed up by any rigorous performance
testing, is that the Atom is roughly equivalent to a Pentium 4 in
terms of performance on video display (decode/scale/deinterlace) and
compiling the myth source code.  I don't think the computational
requirements of mythbackend have changed much since the days when the
Pentium 4 was king, so it doesn't seem unreasonable to use an Atom for
the backend.  (Note that I'm well aware of anti-Atom positions like
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/448321#448321 .)

Jim