[mythtv] Mythvideo DVD ripping

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed May 11 01:54:05 UTC 2011

> The whole decryption thing is up to the lawyers to decide.

Actually, it is up to the courts to decide, the lawyers just get
to argue their clients position(s).  And jurisdictions may vary
in their decisions (which makes doing the "right* thing harder).

> However, in many jurisdictions it's hard to stop amateurs and
> hobbyists doing their own thing - those selling commercial
> products might need to take advice though?

Without shackles and chains, it is difficult to stop most
from trying anything.  It is the consequences of the actions
that are likely of more concern to some.

I respect the rights of those doing the development to
make their own decisions as to their comfort levels and
their choices to risk potential consequences (their code,
their decisions).

I also respect the rights of those doing the development
to decide what they want to invest their time in doing
(their time, their decisions).

Anyone is also free to fork the code base if they
want to go in a significantly different direction,
even at the potential cost of wasted duplication.

Gary