[mythtv] Mythvideo DVD ripping

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Mon May 9 17:27:17 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Lawrence Rust <lvr at softsystem.co.uk> wrote:

> I would very much like to see this feature re-integrated into 0.25 or
> later.  What do other users and developers think?

I would be more inclined to return it if it ripped discs to Storage
groups.  A lot of effort is being expended on kludging along local
playback/rip methods and little to none is being spent to complete the
transition to SGs, which is the way we're ultimately going.  This is
the reason I have resisted patches to enhance or modify local file
playback in the past, and the source of my unease with restoring local
DVD ripping.

I also have long been unhappy with the "spawn all sorts of external
command line utilities" method of DVD ripping, and had hoped to
restore DVD ripping with a much simpler approach that used a
library/API-based method, but haven't been satisfied with what I've
seen there either.

> The following small patch to the video directory scan logic ensures that
> a file which is accessible via both methods is only accessed by the file
> path:
>
> http://www.softsystem.co.uk/download/mythtv/libmythmetadata-Prefer-local-pathnames-to-myth-URLs.patch

I'll think about incorporating this, but as mentioned above, I'm not
comfortable implementing any new functionality for local playback/rip
of videos-- it is to be removed and the effort is better spent
polishing SG-only playback-- I would very *very* much appreciate
patches to knock down the sole remaining limitation of videos-via-SG:
encrypted playback of DVDs.  Then the above wouldn't be necessary and
we could complete the transition to SG-only videos.

Robert