[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 85a5266e1 by Michael T. Dean (sphery)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 5 18:05:01 UTC 2011

On 05/05/2011 10:21 AM, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. wrote:
>>         Myth's CC608 decoder currently ignores color codes.  It also
>> doesn't handle some other things like italics and blinking.  If anyone's
>> interested in implementing these, here's a useful reference:
>>
>> http://www.theneitherworld.com/mcpoodle/SCC_TOOLS/DOCS/CC_CODES.HTML
> Good point.  Italics tend to be actually useful, for indicating
> off-screen dialog, as opposed to colors which are mostly used for
> advertising.  Thanks for the reference, I'll try to have a look.

Or you could put the effort into improving our support for the newer 708
captions.  :)  (Does anyone know how much longer the FCC is requiring
608 captions?)

Thanks for the clarification Gregorio.  I didn't actually trace the code
to see if we actually pulled the color info when I stumbled across that
transposition, but figured it needed fixing anyway.  (After all, it
would have been annoying to /try/ to find that typo when someone was
adding support for the color codes later--at least I would have assumed
when things didn't work that it was my new code rather than existing
code that was failing.)

Guess that means, though, that in MythTV it's actually 100% of 608
captions that use white.  :)  We fall into the proud heritage of, "Color
(non-white) characters, while possible, are only occasionally used due
to the 13-year legacy of set-top decoders which cannot display colored
captions," (from http://www.netcapinc.com/index-4.html ).

Mike