[mythtv] API Framework has been committed (May break existing users of mythXML).

Wes Brown thewbman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 22:46:28 UTC 2011

Whytey,

I think this is a great idea.  Works great on my machine.  I am not
an actual MythTV developer so I don't have any say on this becoming
official, but I do want to show my support.  Writing my app for Palm webOS (
http://code.google.com/p/webmyth/) I ended up writing a small python script
to get access to a lot of MythTV features.  I have since added native
support for the app to communicate the actual mythprotocol on the device
(and do more complicated MySQL and remote operations).  So to use the full
app remotely the user has to forward ports 80, 3306, 6543, 6544 and 6546.
 Cutting out 6544 for XML would be nice both to reduce the number of ports
and to allow usage through a proxy that blocks all ports besides 80.  (My
app would still require the other ports for full functionality, but the
majority of things could be done through XML).

[Somewhat off-topic, but adding the list of upcoming recordings to MythXML
would be great.  I am not sure if it is deliberately not part of MythXML or
just nobody has decided to do it themselves.  Being able to show upcoming
recordings I think is key to a good MythTV app and having an XML interface
for it would simplify that for any apps on any platform.]

 - wes