[mythtv] Record command

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Mar 16 23:08:22 UTC 2011

On 3/16/2011 17:42, Pentti Salo wrote:
> My intent is to use remote record command from the phone application and
> it is not recommended to do this from the android SDK. (I mean direct
> database
> connection) So maybe it is good idea to add such command to protocol.
> Any way
> I read archive and notice that there is some action about the myth
> protocol to make
> it better somehow. I will follow what happen with this and maybe I
> have to change
> a protocol. Is this okay?  You say that mythproto is not safe? So
> maybe it is better to
> make this command with HTTP protocol. I think that is safe with https://.

The backend protocol has no authentication, is plain text, and is full
of all sorts of problems that someone with a fuzzer could have a field
day with.  It is not safe for internet use in its current form.  There
is a long term goal to move all database access to the master backend,
and move all existing client access of the database through myth
protocol, but that is a huge amount of work not likely to happen within
the next year.

MythTV does have an http interface, that has very recently been
rewritten.  You may want to talk to David Blain about getting methods
added for access and retrieval of recording rules.  Again, this
interface is not authenticated or secured for internet use, but you
should be able to use apache to hide it behind a proxy that requires
authentication.

You may want to check out the existing MythDroid.
http://code.google.com/p/mythdroid/

Also, please bottom post on this mailing list.