[mythtv] Handling independent CI devices

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 21:56:27 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Issa Gorissen <flop.m at usa.net> wrote:

> Take 1 mythtv backend, 4 frontends, a powerful CAM which can decrypt at least
> 4 different services, the subscription card; support for this Octopus card +
> ci would allow the 4 frontends to watch the channel they want with no
> restriction of being on the same transponder. You have to agree that this
> would be nice.

Issa,

I think you are missing the point.  It might be nice.  It might not
be.  We don't care.  It's not our job to write tuner drivers, it's not
our job to write decryption APIs.  If such an API is written and it's
relevant to a myth dev's (or talented user's) personal viewing needs
and they want to add support, it will happen.  But ultimately, the
MythTV project has no interest in becoming a project to write
decryption APIs, drivers, or anything else more appropriately handled
by v4l-dvb.  Thus, this whole thread is of-topic.  I suggest you take
this discussion to the linux-media mailing list.  Multiple of us
MythTV devs are subscribers there too, and in a more appropriate
forum, you will likely get some responses when and if this becomes
relevant for use in MythTV.  Just not here.

Robert