[mythtv] Support for upcoming VDPAU on AMD and Myth Player

Zuriel elpinkus at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 10 04:00:23 UTC 2011

> I have a new machine at home with an ATI graphic card ; I will try

> testing this VDPAU things cool and see what I come up with.
>
> JY

I believe MythTV sends video to the VDPAU API which in turn sends it to the nvidia proprietary driver which sends it to the hardware video decoder on a recent nvidia card.

Playing video using an AMD/ATI card's hardware decoder requires you to use AMD's XvBA API and AMD's proprietary driver, either directly or through the VA API --> XvBA backend.

I just bought a Zotac ZBOX AD02 with an AMD E-350 processor, so I'll be playing with the AMD side of things myself shortly. I don't believe there's any way to use the hardware video decoder on an AMD card through VDPAU. I would be happy to be wrong about this.

There's a patch ( http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8593 ) adding VA API support to MythTV which would give AMD users hardware video decoding but I think wasn't added due to immature drivers and general bugginess.