[mythtv] MHEG BBC iPlayer

Lawrence Rust lvr at softsystem.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 16:09:01 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 11:45 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 07/21/2011 01:35 PM, Lawrence Rust wrote:
> > Additionally, the http client can be made to use a proxy, for instance
> > tor, by setting:
> > MYTHMHEG_PROXY="socks://localhost:9050"
> >

> Since we're using HTTP_PROXY in other places (such as for MythBrowser,
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9525#comment:7 ), perhaps you could
> use the same environment variable for this patch unless there's some
> reason it needs to be different.

There is a very good reason for different settings - performance.  In
order to access iPlayer, the BBC use a geoip database to verify UK
residency.  A number of people pay for proxy services in order to
receive iPlayer in European countries but the proxies are often not high
performance.  If all http traffic is forwarded through the proxy it can
incur significant latencies.

--
Lawrence