[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: bbaaadc1a by

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 07:30:48 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Jonathan Martens <jonathan at snetram.nl>wrote:

> Is the guideline available somewhere? I am curious to know why this is the
> case...

The reason is simple:  rebase is for intermediate to advanced users, and
many of our developers are beginners at git.  Once they are more comfortable
with git, I am sure that rebasing will happen more and more.  git rebase is
a fairly perilous command, especially if you aren't sure how to back out of
any issues it caused you that one time at 4am or something.

Basically... once the developers are ready for it, rebase will be fine, and
will likely become *recommended*...  but we aren't willing to toss them into
the deep end of a pool with sharks in it.  Just the deep end of a pool :)