[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 72d437001 by Daniel Thor Kristjansson (daniel-kristjansson)

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Dec 13 12:29:16 UTC 2011

On 11-12-12 10:54 PM, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:

> I hate to contradict what was said in the ticket but since this
> requires decoding the audio it's probably best done in an external
> program managed by mythtv like how real-time mythcommflag works.

And that's the key point.  Now there are two (or more) processes burning
CPU decoding the same audio/video stream.  And more might come.

It seems to make sense to me to structure one decoding process (i.e.
"mythcommflag") which hands the decoded stream(s) on to a stack of
plugins to process however they want.

Personally, one plugin I'd like to see added to the stack is the
detection and recording of windowboxing[1] (the code already exists in
the software decoding module of course) so that non-software (i.e.
vdpau) playback can compensate.

But that's just one idea for audio/video processing.  Since more could
come, a stackable plugin architecture in mythcommflag seems to make
sense (to me, at least).

b.

[1] This plugin would be somewhat interesting to write such that it's
not fooled by intentional letterboxing and unletterboxed commercial
breaks (the latter of which should adjust the frame back to full size if
detected I would think).  I guess as more of the program is analyzed
more confidence can be given to the one true set of dimensions for the
real letterboxing.  Myabe the existing letterbox detection code already
handles the statistical part of this solution.