[mythtv] Why are themes downloaded to /etc/mythtv?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 18:28:22 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 8:43 AM, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:
> * On Sat Dec 10, 2011 at 02:00:04PM +0000, Stuart Morgan wrote:
>> There was a difference of opinion internally about the proposal. Some
>> developers wanted to instead implement this via storage groups which is not
>> something I have the time to work on.
>
> We already have a built in 'Themes' Storage Group that points to
> GetConfDir() + "/themes", we just need to modify libmythui and
> the theme downloader to honor it.  I made a modification earlier
> this week (or last) to allow overriding the builtin Storage Groups,
> so users could put the themes wherever they want by overriding
> that SG.  I'll take a look at adding this functionality.

I'm not terribly picky on how it gets fixed, however, since I don't
assume storage group locations in the RPM package, it would require
the end user setting one up. While some setup by the end user is
unavoidable, I would like to use sane defaults wherever possible.

The packages I inherited from Jarod already create a /var/cache/mythtv
directory but that directory on my 2yo combined FE/BE doesn't have
anything in it. It would be a perfect target for the themes to be
downloaded into and other things that shouldn't be going into
/etc/mythtv.

The current contents of my /etc/mythtv are:
./.pulse
./.pulse/30aff66e6c7b07501e39fa7d0000001a-runtime
./tmp
./tmp/Arclight-1.1_0.24.zip
./tmp/blue-abstract-wide-1.4_0.24.zip
./tmp/Graphite-1.1_0.24.zip
./config.xml
./Cache-mythbackend-calvin.localdomain
./Cache-mythbackend-calvin.localdomain/ftp
./mysql.txt
./.config
./.config/Trolltech.conf
./.pulse-cookie
./themes
./channels

I would think pretty much all of that can be moved to
/var/cache/mythtv except for mysql.txt, config.xml, and .config/ and a
MYTHCACHEDIR environment variable would make that very easy to
accomplish.

Thanks,
Richard