[mythtv] Why are themes downloaded to /etc/mythtv?

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Sat Dec 10 14:34:20 UTC 2011

On 10.12.2011 14:42, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 3:28 AM, Karl Dietz
> <dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org>  wrote:
>>> The OP was talking about mythbackend running non-root and as a service.
>>> I.e. No user home folder and no write access to /etc
>>>
>>> All of your post is therefore  unsuitable for that task.
>>
>> I don't agree with that. What is so special about running a service as
>> the user mythtv? It gets a nice home, can be added to the video group
>> and granted access to the storage, etc.
>
> In this case, it's not a regular user, it's created by the install
> package. It does not have a home in /home or a login shell assigned.

no worries, just give it one.
quoting from http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:UsersAndGroups
"HOMEDIR should usually be a directory created and owned by the
  package, with appropriately restrictive permissions. One good choice
  for the location of the directory is the package's data directory in
  case it has one."

Regards,
Karl