[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 50606cd50 by Stuart Morgan (stuartm)

E. Westbrook mythtv-dev at westbrook.com
Sun Aug 14 18:01:33 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 08:39, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> As I understand it, MythTV needs to listen on all interfaces for a
> properly-functioning UPnP implementation.

The interface(s) on which MythTV listens, and my customizations, are red
herrings here.  I'm sorry I introduced them.

This commit does break stock MythTV.  The trigger condition is simply a
basic configuration of MySQL which listens on a single local address that
isn't loopback.

A few weeks ago, in
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/486446?do=post_view_threaded#486446you
said:

No, MythTV database configuration is authoritative. If you specify
> invalid IP addresses in your MythTV configuration, we will use them and
> we will fail until you correct your configuration.

I remember it well, because you rightly set me straight.  And your point
there applies 100% perfectly here.

It's wrong for MythTV to disregard a configured IP address, because that's
what the user is really asking to connect to, even if it's invalid or
broken.

And so it goes like this:

   - I say: "Here's where my database is."
   - MythTV says: "Nah, I have a better plan."
   - Then, MythTV says: "Oops, I can't find your database."
   - And I think to myself: "But I told you *exactly* where it is!"

Don't you agree that's not quite right?

Thanks again,
Eric