[mythtv] #7964: Predictively skip frames to smooth out timestretch

Dan Wilga mythtv-dev2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Wed Apr 6 13:43:29 UTC 2011

Being a frequent watcher of programs with timestretch, I decided to try
backporting this series of changes to 0.24-fixes. I started with
mythtv_smoothsync-24fixes-p0.patch, and added the remaining HEAD
changesets that are not part of that patch. Only minor changes were
needed, to get it to compile.

And the smoothing works very well. Thanks!

But, I'm now noticing a sort of artifact when skipping during playback,
even at normal speed. Let's say I've reached point #1 in the recording.
I press skip forward, bringing me to point #2. The video plays for a
split second at point #2, then very briefly shows the last frame from
point #1 again, then returns to playing from point #2 as expected. The
result is pretty distracting. I'm using the VDPAU High Quality profile
with a GT-220 card.

In all honesty, this could be unrelated to the patch. This is the first
time I've compiled 0.24 myself, having previously used Mythdora's
pre-built version. When I have the time, I'll try re-compiling without
the patch. But I figured I'd mention it, in case it rings any bells.