[mythtv] Feature Request/RFC: A stable, extensible, third-party usable API

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 19:39:18 UTC 2010

On 29/09/2010 1:21 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 9/29/2010 14:29, Robert Johnston wrote:
>> For instance, a call to:
>>
>> http://backend/GetRecordings
>>
>> Would return:

<snip />

> A call to:
>
> http://backend:6544/xml/GetRecorded
>
> Will return:

<snip />

That's remarkably handy. Glad I'm not the only one who's thought about
this. :)

>> I realise that some of this could be done using MythWeb, or the
>> Perl/Python bindings to a web page/site (Though I think the streaming
>> of recordings wouldn't be possible like this)
>
> MythWeb can stream content, and both the Perl and Python bindings have
> routines to expose mythproto file transfers as file objects.

Can Mythweb's streaming also handle seeking? I was under the impression
it's firehose only.

>> It already has a web server built in, this is merely(!) giving that
>> webserver something to serve other than the status page.
>
> A bit of documentation on what the other Robert already referenced:
>
> http://mythtv.org/wiki/MythXML
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/trunk/mythtv/contrib/development/MythXMLTest

Yes, I'm looking through now. That's great, a fantastic starting point,
but (as always) more would be better. Any idea who's looking after this
code? Looks like it might be stuartm...